Wednesday, April 10, 2013

1st IVF Baseline appointment

April 5th

Well this is really far from my 1st appointment.

I knew going there that I would be getting blood work done and having an ultrasound, and maybe I knew what was going on at this appointment, but it wasnt until I was leaving that I really realized where I am at in this whole process.

At this point I had been taking 10 units of Lupron for a little over two weeks. The Lupron was working at suppressing my ovulation cycle.

What I didn't realize is that when the doctor did the ultrasound he would actually be seeing this day how many eggs that are starting to grow. These eggs are the eggs that he will be removing soon to grow embryos and hopefully start our pregnancy.

The doctor found 13 eggs in one ovary and 14 in the other. I think I walked out of there feeling pregnant already. I had my hand on my belly and felt like I was protecting 27 little possible babies. Grow little beans, grow good for mommy.

Before I left the nurse gave me instructions to lower my Lupron to only 5 units that night and start taking FSH (Puregon) and HMG (Menogan) the next day. My official instructions were to take the HMG in the morning and then take the FSH 12 hours later. The HMG is a little complicated to mix because you have to break a little glass bottle with liquid in it, draw that up in the needle, then break two little glass bottles with powder in them and inject the liquid into each bottle, draw the new mixed liquid up and change the needle and then inject. The FSH is easy, it comes in a little vile that you put into a pen, dial the dose and inject. So I got to thinking that I should switch the two around because I have to take my morning shot at 5:30 so the pen would be easier to do. I called the doctor and he said that was fine.

After my appointment I went to have acupuncture for the 1st time. The lady was nice and the place felt comfortable. She talked with me for a while to find out about me, then she laid me on the table and started. Most needles I didn't feel going in, but I didn't really care for having a needle in my forehead and in my ears. Then I had to lay still for 15 minutes! She came in and felt the needles to make sure they were doing their job and then she left me for another 15 minutes! The waiting was harder then the needle pokes. I found out that I cannot really calm down and do nothing. I guess I would have slept like most people do, but because of the my needle phobia I couldn't relax enough to pass out. I tried to focus on the cause and to enjoy the music and clear my brain of all the junk in there.

That night I got my Lupron shot and I forgot to remind Eric to change the dose to only 5 units, so he injected 10 units. Yikes!

That led me to a night of freaking out and no sleep! Well I guess I slept at some point, because I had many nightmares that night. I was worried about the new shots in the morning and how we were going to manage getting them all done on time between our work schedules. I was freaked out that I wrecked the whole cycle by overdosing on the Lupron. I had intense dreams about the acupuncture. So intense that at one point I felt the needle go into my forehead but this time it hurt bad. My mind kept worrying about that overdose and the fact that I changed the schedule with the HMG and FSH, I kept feeling like I screwed up the whole thing.

Eric was amazing the next morning and he woke up on his own to get my shot ready and done. I called my doctor a few hours later and he said that it shouldn't make a difference and I will be fine and still on schedule.

So now we are at 3 shots a day and horrible headaches. I get to see how my eggs are growing in 5 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment