Friday, May 10, 2013

HCG counts driving me crazy!

HCG tests:
5/1/13 Beta #1 =165
5/3/13 Beta #2 = 265
5/5/13 Beta #3 = 530!

Because I live far away from the RE's office I was given lab slips to get my blood work done in my hometown without having to make a long drive to the office.

I chose to go directly to the hospital, because after some research I found out that not only were the tests cheaper, but all the blood from the other clinics are analyzed at the hospital and about 45 minutes after each test I could go into the records department and get my results. I thought waiting 3 minutes to see a pink line was a long wait, waiting for the blood work results made me near-crazy!

I took the 1st one and I was pretty excited, because anything over 5 HCG is pregnant, but the doctor wants to see the count over 50, so I was feeling good and made Eric call his mom that night to let her know that there is a bun in the oven. Part of me is still in shock that this IVF worked the 1st time! Its amazing that we got such great results!

I took the 2nd test and the goal is to see the HCG level double in 2 days. My heart sunk when I saw that my count only went up by 100. I was worried and waiting for my nurse to call. Meanwhile I hopped on the Internet to quickly search the details of HCG levels rising. I found that most women have a rise in 48 hours but HCG should double in 48-72 hours and the pregnancy is still on track. Right as I read that, the nurse called. She was not my regular nurse that I always talk to and she said that she was concerned. She gave me a possible scenario: because we transferred 2 embryos that it was possible that they both implanted and then I got the 1st high count, and then right after that one stopped progressing which is why my count continued to raise, but not with-in 48 hours.

This news came to me on Friday. The nurse suggested another blood test on Sunday to double check. She said "We will wait and see" ..... Easy for her to say! I now have to wait 2 days to see if my baby is growing right :(  If one stopped progressing, what if the other stops too? I was freaking out!

I went to the hospital on Sunday and waited 45 minutes to go down and get my results, but because it was the weekend they didn't have them. I had to wait another day to call my nurse. I talked with her at 8am on Monday and she said that she didn't get my blood work yet and she had been on the phone with the hospital and they lost my results! LOST THEM??? Are you kidding me?? What about my count, what about my baby, am I still pregnant, how will I know what my count is now?

I was happy that the nurse dealing with this was my regular one, whom I love. She was dealing with the hospital while I was freaking out and wishing that I could get off work to kick some ass at the hospital!. The nurse called a few hours later to tell me that they had to re-run my sample to get my count again and it was at 530. It doubled in 24 hours! Great! She also said it was possible that one of the embryos that implanted had stopped progressing, she said that sometimes counts don't always double every 48 hours, she also explained that because I have OHSS that my counts could be off. Why couldn't I hear all these things on Friday, instead of having to stress all weekend?

Long story short is that I am pregnant, everything so far is good and we are a happy family who is ready for a little baby in 9 months  :)

My 1st ultrasound where I will be able to see the baby's heartbeat is on the 28th. Another 3 long week wait!

Meanwhile, I have a hard time eating because I feel so full from the bloating. However at times I feel starving and could eat the house. I am also the most tired person in America. I am in bed by 8pm, although I wish it was earlier.

I'm pretty sure the kiddos are ready for this and as excited as I am. Last night Bash and Eric had fun tormenting me with every silly name they could think of! 

No comments:

Post a Comment